Last week, we had a scary experience here at our house. It was actually a very terrifying experience. One that will not be forgotten. It was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me in my life!!
Last Friday morning- around 3:30am- I woke up to what I thought was Annie spitting up or coughing. That was pretty weird. I am a very heavy sleeper and Travis does most of the work with the kids in the night. But something just didn't sound quite right with the noise that I had heard. Annie was at the foot of our bed in her crib. I elbowed Travis and asked if he had been up with Annie recently. He stated that he had only laid her down about 10 minutes ago after feeding and burping her. I got out of bed to go see what the noise was that I had heard and reached down to pick her up.... that's when the scariness began. She felt really stiff to me- not cold, just stiff, like she was arching her back, or something. I immediately told Travis that something was wrong! To turn on the light, something wasn't right. Travis jumped out of bed and RAN to turn on the light. When we got the light on, we could see that Annie was not breathing. Her eyes were wide and watery and she was a deep red color (like she had JUST stopped breathing in the past 15-20 seconds..)! I immediately started to try to burp her- nothing! I turned her upside down, but she was not getting anything out!! Travis took her from me, and I grabbed our nose sucker. We tried to suction out her mouth, from this we got a scream- and then nothing else. We continued sucking out her nose and mouth... She was really struggling!! She was only able to get one breath every 15 seconds, or so!! I called 911 and Travis called our neighbor (an E.R doctor at the best children's Hospital here in Fresno). He had just gotten off a shift from work and he rushed right over.... the ambulance was on it's way. It was the most intense 20 minutes of my life!! I was sobbing and shaking and Travis was working furiously to keep our baby girl getting the occasional breath. By the time the ambulance got here, Travis and the Dr. had the baby almost breathing on her own. By the time we got to the hospital Annie was doing much better. We found out that Annie had aspirated some spit up- they said it was kind of a fluke thing, it could happen again, but it also probably would not happen again. They admitted her for observation and she did great!! She slept a ton and she and I snuggled all day long in our hospital room. I had called my neighbor when the ambulance was coming, so she stayed and watched my kids all day long. It was a scary experience. But it was also a miracle. I RARELY hear the kids in the night. I never get up because I don't hear them. How did I hear her little noise that even Travis did not hear? I know that Heavenly Father inspired me to wake up at the moment to hear her little gasp for breath! I know that he is protecting her and loves her so much. I am thankful for His help and protection. I am so thankful that our little Angel is safe and well.


No comments:
Post a Comment