For the past 4 or 5 months my family and I have been drinking whole milk as well as not eating anything that says "low fat" or "light". My husband was totally on board with this decision when I first started this new way of eating. We had both read the book "In Defense of Food" and decided that we needed to be eating "food". So we have been trying. But lately he has been really asking if it makes much difference, the whole milk verses the skim.... the "full fat" yogurt versus the "light".... here are the reasons I gave him for our continued drinking of whole milk.
1. Low-fat and fat-free diets do not help prevent heart disease, and science has now revealed that the link between saturated fat (long thought to be the cause of heart disease) and heart disease is tenuous at best.
2. Milk fat contains glycosphingolipids, types of fats linked to immune system health and cell metabolism.
3. Studies now show that eating saturated fat raises good cholesterol -- the kind of cholesterol you want and need in your body.
4. Our bodies cannot digest the protein or absorb the calcium from milk without the fat.
Vitamins A and D are also fat-soluble. So you can't absorb them from milk when all the fat has been skimmed off.
5. And last but definitely not least: healthy dietary fat will NOT make you fat. We've been taught for years that dietary fat is the root of all evil . But we need healthy fat in our diet for proper body composition and long-term weight maintenance.
So... if you have any questions... read the book "In Defense of Food". You will love it. I just started a new book called "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle". I will let you know if it is a good read...
Go enjoy a nice cold glass of milk!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Bobcat Belles, Senior Year
This is Gloria’s senior year and last year on the Belle’s. I am so impressed with her and her dedication to this team. She is an amazing ...
-
We were able to visit some family during our 2 week trip to California this Summer. We were able to visit my niece and her two children. ...
-
She is Here!! We are so excited to welcome little Olivia into our family. She is such a sweetie. She weighed 6' 14 ounces and was born y...
-
Hello everyone, I want to let you know that in a few weeks I am going to be allowing only invited users to view my blog. Travis and I have c...
5 comments:
Thanks for the info! We drink 2% and whole milk also (except Bry, he likes skim). Sounds like a book i'll have to read!
I try hard to eat and feed my family things that are natural and not processed as much as possible and I'm actually reading "In Defense of Food" right now. I also think it's a great book. Thanks for posting. I'm curious to hear what you think of the new book you are reading. That isn't one I've heard of before.
Thanks for this post...I'm going to read it!
Jen, I am so glad you posted this. I have that author's books on my lists of to-read. I'm a little nervous, because I know it might change our eating (and our food budget!) around here, but I think eating food as close to it's source has gotta be the best for us. Science, schmi-ence. :o)
We've moved to whole and 2% milk and whole fat dairy products also. I have to believe that fat is good for me because it tastes so awesome! I am never satisfied without a bit with my food. I just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I learned so much. Let me know what you think when you are done.
Post a Comment