Thursday, January 31, 2013

Court Update

Many of you know that we went to court last week with the understanding the the parents rights would be officially terminated, giving us 60 days until we could finalize our adoption. We were working hard to have the adoption completed by the end of March. However, when we went to court on Thursday, one of the attorneys brought up a letter that she had received from Max's tribe stating that they are claiming him as part of his tribe, but that they do NOT want to interfere in his adoption. However, because the court wants to make sure that all laws are being followed in the ICWA Act (Indian Child WElfare Act) they did not terminate rights and they are bringing in an ICWA specialist to make sure that all of Max's special rights are followed. We have a few more court dates coming up in Feb, and then we have our ICWA court date on March 7. So, needless to say, we have been heartbroken. Travis has been doing a much better job than me at being optimistic, but I have seen first hand how difficult and Indian adoption can be!!! So, I have been a little depressed- but thankfully I have 5 super busy kids, one needy birth mom, and a baby on the way to keep my so busy that mostly I can't wallow in self pity!!  We will keep you all updated. Keep us in your prayers!!

3 comments:

Tif said...

Oh, Jen, I'm sorry. I'm sure it will work out, but I can understand how difficult this is right now. I will definitely send some prayers your way.

Harada's said...

I haven't been on here in forever!
Your kids are getting so big.
I'm so sorry that his adoption is so challenging. I can't imagine. I will keep you in my prayers. :)
What is this about birth mom and a baby on the way?!? Are you adopting again? Do tell!! :)

Harada's said...

I haven't been on here in forever!
Your kids are getting so big.
I'm so sorry that his adoption is so challenging. I can't imagine. I will keep you in my prayers. :)
What is this about birth mom and a baby on the way?!? Are you adopting again? Do tell!! :)

Bobcat Belles, Senior Year

This is Gloria’s senior year and last year on the Belle’s. I am so impressed with her and her dedication to this team. She is an amazing ...