Saturday, May 21, 2011

Brag page for Gloria


This is just a little bragging about Gloria, these kind of things need to be documented, so if you are not in the mood to read about how amazing and awesome my daughter is, stop reading now! But come on, who doesn't already know how amazing she is? :)


This past week Gloria was able to compete in the school spelling bee, again. I did not take a camera to the event, being the awesome mom that I am, but I thought that I should take a minute to document her great accomplishment.
Gloria has always been naturally good at spelling and reading. She has always enjoyed sitting down and reading for an hour, or more, at a time. We have never had crying and frustration over her spelling words. She always gets %100 on her spelling tests, and we don't ever waste time studying for her tests, because she doesn't need to study. When she was in the 2nd grade the teacher had her tested and said that she was reading at a high 4th grade level. We have not had her tested this year, but the school did some testing and put her into the GATE program here (Gifted And Talented Education). She is a bright girl.
This year in her class there are 2 girls that she has become great friends with, & they are just as smart as Gloria, when it comes to spelling (I could go on and on about how her math skills are top 10% in the nation and how she is even better at math and science than at spelling, but I won't :). So, Gloria has these 2 friends and they do everything together. They can get a little competitive when it comes to class work. So, when the class held the competition to see who would get to go to the school spelling bee (only 3 from each class), we went into it with our eyes wide open, knowing that she may not make it into the finals this year. That day Gloria got off of the bus and she was jumping up and down and smiling...... "Mom!! Mom!! Guess what?! I did it! I did it! I made it into the school spelling bee. I can't believe that I made it mom!"- Now, Gloria has made it into the school spelling bee every year, so I couldn't believe that she was SO SURPRISED. I asked why she couldn't believe it and she said (I will use fake names so anyone reading this won't know who we are talking about) "Amy and Ally are so much smarter than me, I thought that for sure they would be the ones to make it, but I did it. I made it in". (Amy and Ally were the alternates, but my little girl made it in. I was laughing inside that Gloria thinks her friends are smarter than her... maybe they are, but I really doubt it. Did Gloria study for her class spelling bee? No. Should she have? Yes. A girl can always be improving and learning. But she does get a little snotty, telling me that she KNOWS the words, she doesn't want to study. So, I think that it is good that she believes there are people smarter than her, AND that she hangs out with them, because I hope it pushes her to try harder. To not just let things come naturally and not push herself. We love Gloria. She is a smart girl. She came in 3rd place in the 3-4 grade school spelling bee, and so did not get to comete in the finals... but maybe this will push her into studying next year? We can hope!!
We love our girl!!!


1 comment:

Shelly Murphy said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! I alwaYS liked spelling too. So did dad. I am not much for math though. Se\he definately gets those genes from you and dad.... ok, probably Travis too. Ü I love you. You are a GREAT mom.

Bobcat Belles, Senior Year

This is Gloria’s senior year and last year on the Belle’s. I am so impressed with her and her dedication to this team. She is an amazing ...