Thursday, March 18, 2010

Cami's Folly





Last weekend I was inside making some mac'n cheese for the kids's lunch when I heard Cami scream. I looked up (my kitchen window overlooks the yard) and I saw Cami running in the house with blood dripping down her face. I ran out and brought her indoors and started the process of cleaning her up. My poor girl had fallen off the trampoline and hit her little noggin. She really was not to upset about the whole ordeal. She did a great job of holding still while I shaved the top of her head so that I could get a bandage to stick to her head, the bleeding did NOT want to stop. But she was a brave soldier. She is healing well and has not complained. It was a tough ordeal for me. I think that I am strong and that I can handle anything, but when I saw her running to me with all that blood, I started freaking out (inside). I was trying to stay calm and cool for her sake, but I was so afraid. She is my baby. And she was bleeding. And I was scared. I am thankful that i had a friend here who was able to help me with the kids and help me stay calm. She was okay, and I knew that, but it hurts me when my kids are hurting. I wish I could take the pain for them. Not just physical pain, but any hurt that they feel. I have had to try hard to not over protect my kids in life. I tend to hover and try to help them avoid any type of pain or discomfort. I have to remind myself that it is good for kids to fail, to try try again, to learn to deal with cruel kids, to feel pain. That is how they will grow. But it is hard for me to remember that when my son is crying to me because he got in trouble at school because someone blamed him and he was too shy to defend himself. With all my heart I want to fix the situation for him, but for him to grow stronger, he needs to learn how to stand up for himself. And there are so many other times that I want to fix things for them. It is hard to know exactly what to do to help them grow into the best people they can be.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I definitely think that is the hardest part of being a parent. I think at times we feel worse or more hurt then they do when things happen. I don't know that i could've been that calm...blood scares me :) I'm glad she was ok.

Janene said...

Oh, I think I hover too. We just went through a bullying situation for my oldest. And he is in kindergarten--that was a surprise to me. You're doing a great job!

Bobcat Belles, Senior Year

This is Gloria’s senior year and last year on the Belle’s. I am so impressed with her and her dedication to this team. She is an amazing ...