


It's the day before Thanksgiving, and there is so much to do!! I am trying to get everything cooked today that can be done the day before. One thing that we do every year is let the kids pick out their favorite pie and help make it!! I love pie. I remember Thanksgivings growing up, pie was always a huge highlight for me. There was always plenty, always my favorite kind, and we could eat as much as we liked (it seemed). It was one of my favorite traditions. We don't splurge very often in our house. We don't keep ice cream stocked in our freezer as a staple. You will rarely, if every, find a cookie in my home that is not home made (oreo's are sometimes bought, as I cannot make them... but like 2 times a year, maybe). We cook with whole wheat flour that I usually grind myself, eat meat sparingly, eat 5-7 veggies a day, and 5-7 fruits a day. We get all of our produce from our organic local produce basket that is delivered weekly. I Make everything I can from scratch, try to only eat whole foods (veggies, fruits, grains, nuts, dairy). So, on Thanksgiving, we SPLURGE! And we LOVE it.
This year, Gloria wanted a banana Cream pie... and Olivia wanted a Pumpkin Cream pie (with a little persuasion from Mommy). So, we started the day with a yummy Banana cream pie. Made by Gloria. I taught her about tempering the egg yolks, cream burning on the stove, and how to brush egg whites on the pie crust before cooking so it won't get soggy before tomorrow. She did a super job. She did all the measuring and read the recipe, even put the pie in the oven and took it out. She is growing up so quickly.
Olivia loved making her pumpkin cream pie, especially the crust. She loved crushing the graham crackers so much, that she put a hole in the bag!! She did not want to stop. She put the butter in the microwave, added the ingredients and helped stir. Olivia loves to cook, and she was so excited to be my big helper.
We have not done Grayson's or Cami's done, yet. While we were cooking this morning, I pulled out a construction set to keep the kids occupied while I was in the kitchen. They had such a fun time- It always starts out with building buildings and other such contraptions, and in the end, the girls always end up turning it into some sort of baby thing. Today, they had their baby balls in little corrals and baby seats and cribs... they love this type of thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment