Today is Cami's 7th birthday. My sweet Cami has always brought a lot of energy to our home. I remember the day she was born- I felt a special bond with her because she was our 3rd child, and I was the 3rd child in my family. I loved to cuddle with my sweet Cami. Most night I would hold her late into the night while she slept. I hesitated to put her down and wanted that special time to just bond with her. This was against my nature, as I strictly followed the "Baby Wise" guidelines with her 2 older siblings. I worried constantly that because I had 2 other children at home that that demanded so much of my time during the day that Cami needed the time at nightj (even if she was asleep) to just bond with me and her daddy. That continued for about 6 months, and Cami was not yet sleeping through the night.
She woke up 6-8 times a night, or- anytime that she woke up and discovered that I was not holding her. That was really tough. I didn't know how to get out of this bad habit that I had started. I could not continue on without getting any sleep. I was up all night with cami, rarely seeing Travis, and running around all day with 3 young kids. I remember the night that I broke down in tears, Cami was 8 months old, and told Travis that I couldn't continue this way anymore! Travis decided that I needed to fix Cami's routine so that she could sleep on her own. We decided that that weekend we would sleep train Cami. We had to pick the weekend because we knew that it would be difficult through the nights and we would need to be able to alternate taking naps during the day. Travis is the strong parent, in that aspect. As soon as Cami started crying, that first night, I was sure it was because she was sick, or hurt, or scared or stuck... or something that needed my attention. We had a monitor and travis helped me be strong. After 2 long nights, and long days, Cami started to sleep through the night! Not only was Cami a happier baby (as she was finally getting good sleep at night), she napped better and was eating better, too!! It really was a huge turning point in her life and mine! We were both happier and it was a lot more fun to have 3 kids!!
Cami has always been a bit of a loner. Even when she was 3 months old, she would be so happy to just lay on the ground or in her bouncy seat by herself, as soon as her siblings would come around, she would get grumpy and just acted irritated. Not all the time, she did love her siblings, but there were times then and there are times now that she just loves to be by herself. I can relate, I have always been a bit of a loner. I really enjoy quiet and solitude. In that way, we are alike. Most days when Cami gets home from school she will go up to her room and play by herself for a couple of hours, until we call her down to do homework.
Cami has her own sense of fashion. Something she did NOT get from me. I have not strong fashion sense. I am very conservative, but Cami, she has a STRONG fashion sense! This girl rocks her clothes! She has a strong opinion about what she wears. I love this about her. From the time she was 2 years old, she was picking out her own clothes, and she LOVES accessories. At our house, most days, I let the kids pick out their own clothes ON THE CONDITION that on "mommy days" they don't complain and let me pick out their clothes. They are generally pretty good about this rule. Most days I truly try to let them pick out their own clothes and do their own hair, but there are some days when we are going to special places or when something special is happening and those are the days that I get to pick out their clothes and do their hair.
Cami is a wonderful reader. She is great at spelling. She really does super in all aspects of school and really excels. She is a smart girl and I love to see her little brain working when she is figuring our problems. We have never studied for a spelling test, and I believe that only 1 time has she NOT gotten 100%. She did miss 2 words on one spelling test, and I think that was the week that she missed most of school that week due to sickness. I don't really push her too hard, as I don't want to stress her out this early. She does her 100 math facts every day. She is one of the top in her class (as far as passing off her addition and subtraction facts). She silently reads a chapter book every day at home for 30-60 minutes. She is amazing!!
Cami loves routine. She is very hesitant to change. We have been singing her the same song every single night to go to sleep since she was 8 months old... "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Every night we sing the same song to her, give her a hug and kiss and sign "I Love You" with our fingers touching. We always say it... "hugs, kisses, I Love You" as we do each action. This never wavers. Ever. Every night for as long as she wants we will continue to sing and give "hugs, kisses and I Love You's". She forms routines for every aspect of her life. Where she puts her clothes when she takes them off... you will never ever find them in the middle of the room, they will always be next to her dresser. Always. Never failing. Her toys will always be in baskets under her bed, because that's where they belong. She will always be the polite police at the dinner table. She plays with the same friends every day... I could go on and on and on. I love routine, also, so I cannot fault her for her love of routine!!
Cami is super responsible.She is also compassionate. She loves to sing and play. She is always willing to help. She has the BEST smile. She is great at making others feel loved.
We love Cami so much. She is a great daughter and sister!
I love you, Cami!








No comments:
Post a Comment