Saturday, November 15, 2008

Hospitals- ARGHHHHHHHHH!!!

Just a quick update on things here in Cali.
I try to be a "glass is half full" kind of girl, but at this point in my pregnancy in Cali, I am having a HARD time looking at it that way.
Yesterday I went to finalize my registration with at the hospital. I showed up with my kids and began the tedious process. My kids were super well behaved while I did this (I had spied a vending machine filled with candy in the waiting area, my kids are NEVER allowed to get things from vending machines, and they NEVER get their own bag of candy, so I let them each pick out a treat and they sat real quietly on their chairs swapping pieces of candy and eating). I have the best kids, ever. Have I mentioned that before?
So, back to my novel-
I began the process of registering at a hospital that I had never even once visitedbefore! I started asking them about tours and safety precautions and the room mate I will have and the safety of me against her visitors. I asked to go up to the maternity ward and look around. I wanted to talk with some of the nurses and staff to find out what would be done to ensure my babies and my well being.- Well, they would not let me go up to the maternity ward with my kids- understandable, I guess. They also would not have anyone come down and talk to me, but they did agree to talk to me over the phone :(. So, I started asking questions and they treated me quite rudely. They told me that the baby was to stay with me at all times and that the nurses responsibility is not to watch my baby so I could nap or take a shower or go pee for that matter! They said that I could ask a nurse to pop her head in every few hours to check on my baby!!! I told them I did not feel comfortable napping or showering while leaving my baby in my room with a room mate and her visitors that I did not know!! Too bad, they said, have my hubby or guest come and watch the baby while I do those things (yes, she knows I live over an hour away from the blasted hospital). Anyway, long story made shorter, I left there in tears. They can do this, because they are the only hospital in the area. They can do what they want. I called some friends for consolation, but my hubby said it best. Maybe I will just come home after I have the baby. No need to stay in a place where I worry about sleeping at night, or during the day!! I am sure a lot of this is just my pregnant hormones, but I am also pretty uptight about my kids and I do have a wild imagination! So, I will update everyone when the baby finally decides to come out and let you know how everything went at the hospital!

6 comments:

Harada's said...

What the heck!!That all just doesnt seem right. You pay enough to be at the hospital, you should be well taken care of! I would never leave my baby in a room with a stranger to go take a shower or whatever. How uncomfortable to have a roommate! I would definately just go home after the baby was born, definatly a much more confortable situation.
GOOD LUCK with having the baby, as soon as you feel up to it, I want to see some pics and hear how it all went!!
Hang on just a little bit longer =)

Tif said...

That's crazy! I understand why you are frustrated. I would be too. I've never had to deal with any of that. I hope that you are able to figure something out. Good luck!

Shimmy Mom said...

That stinks! I hate weird hospitals. We had one like that in New York and I won't get started right now. Good luck. I hope everything works out smoothly. I say once they've deemed baby healthy. Get out a there.
*hugs*

Janene said...

sheesh! That is unbelievable. If I lived closer, I would be happy to come watch your baby so you could use the bathroom. Seriously. I would probably opt to recover at home too.

ASRussell said...

That is aweful!!! I can't believe that they would treat you like that!!! I am so sorry thta you had to go through such a terrible experience.!!! We are glad you are home and don't have to deal with crap like that!!!

Anonymous said...

It is amazing that with all the safety precautions that MOST other hospitals are taking that they can still get away with this. They just need to turn on the TV and realize that thier hospital is not safe. I don't blame you... I am feel like I sometimes go over board and that situation is not at all safe. Better safe than sorry.

Bobcat Belles, Senior Year

This is Gloria’s senior year and last year on the Belle’s. I am so impressed with her and her dedication to this team. She is an amazing ...