Saturday, October 4, 2008

Rain Dance






Today, it rained!! Something that I have taken for granted in the past years- rain! It was so nice, I wanted to stay outside all day! We have kept the windows open so we could smell the rain, I keep looking out the window to see if the rain is still there. While we were living in Ohio, it rained constantly. It was not uncommon for it to rain 7 days a week. In California, it has not rained since we moved here. The last rain that I saw was when we left Ohio, on June 2nd. So, it was fun to have rain today.
Today we went to a "Pow Wow" of the Chikchansee Indians. I had to wonder if they were doing some rain dances! It was a really cool experience. In the part of California where we live there are quite a few Indian tribes that live here. We have a lot of friends who are Indian. We have loved learning more about their culture. At the Pow Wow today, they all wore Regalia that they made. Everyone has a uniqe costume- or regalia. There are several different types of dances- "Jingle" "Fancy", and "Shawl" are a few that I can remember the names of. During the Pow Wow they honored the indians who are veterans and those who have served in the military. We ate yummy Indian Fry bread and Indian Tacos. We enjoyed the first cool day that I remember since we left Ohio (I think the high was around 87 today). The Kids loved the pow wow and were sad to leave. We are excited to go to another one.

2 comments:

Jen said...

The Pow Wow looks like it was a fun experience. I can't believe that 87 degrees is the coolest it's been since you moved!

Shimmy Mom said...

Looks like tons of fun! My dad served his mission on a Sioux Reservation so we heard alot about Native Americans when I was a kid. I still like learning about them.
*hugs*

Bobcat Belles, Senior Year

This is Gloria’s senior year and last year on the Belle’s. I am so impressed with her and her dedication to this team. She is an amazing ...