Sunday, January 11, 2009

DeJaVu

So, when we lived in Ohio we were in a ward for 6 months and then the ward was split and a new ward was formed. Before our first time meeting as a new ward I petitioned the new bishop to PLEASE let me be a primary teacher- within days I was put in as 2nd counselor in the primary....

We now live in Coarsegold and have been in the ward here for 6 months and can you guess what happened last week? Our ward was NOT split, but combined with another ward. I petitioned the bishop and everyone I know to please let me be a primary teacher. And can you guess what calling I was given? 2nd counselor in the primary... weird! I am excited, it is always fun to serve in the primary in any capacity- but being a teacher is the best. I love the interaction you have with the kids, the goals you get to make with such a small group are much more specific than with a larger group. You get to know the kids so much better and taylor the lessons to their specific needs. It is much more ideal than teaching to a larger group... but I have always loved preparing sharing times and activities and getting to know all of the children (all 100 of them!!). I will say this- I am so thankful that I was not called to be the president again, I am struggling to keep my life organized and put together without that added stress. Heavenly Father knows I have my limits!
Speaking of my limits... Travis is the new Elders Quorum President. Today and every sunday from here on out he has early morning meetings... so today was my first day getting me and 4 kids packed and to church on my own- Limits..... this may be my limit. I am just praying to make it to church before it ends each week.

6 comments:

Kim said...

No surprise, I'm just surprised it didn't happen sooner!

Harada's said...

That is pretty crazy! Well good luck to both you and travis, but especially you! I have not even dared to take 3 kids out of the house by myself. You are super mom, it may take a few weeks but eventually you will make it to church before its completely over =)......GOOD LUCK!

Sonja said...

You'll be awesome! Good luck!

Michelle said...

I know you will do a great job. Primary is the best place to be.

Tif said...

In answer to your question....Yes, I am still PP. They split our ward 2 weeks before Brinley was born and I thought I might be released, but that didn't happen. Thank heavens for great counselors that took over temporarily when my baby was born. At the time of the split we had 220 children and now we are down to 160. We have maintained a 96% activity rate.

As for an idea, something I started when I was secretary was a monthly newsletter. Along with our theme, scripture, song, upcoming activities, etc. we also assigned out prayers, scriptures and talks for the month. We then have the teachers deliver them to those not in church so that teachers have an excuse to see the less active children at least once a month. With the assignments made early and not always given to the same children over and over that volunteer we have families that don't usually come that go out of their way to come the weeks their child has a talk, etc. Anyway, it's something that has worked well for us.

Good luck with your new/old calling. You are wonderful with kids and I have no doubt why you keep returning to Primary.

Shimmy Mom said...

I'll trade you. I'm a sunbeams teacher. Although, I have 14 in my class,(Oh ya, that's 14- 3 year olds!) so it's probably not the little class you were dreaming of.
I was second coun. in the Young Womens when my Travis was Elder Quorum Pres. You have to love life out of state!
Good luck and Congrats. on your new calling. You'll be great!
*hugs*

Bobcat Belles, Senior Year

This is Gloria’s senior year and last year on the Belle’s. I am so impressed with her and her dedication to this team. She is an amazing ...